Tuesday, April 13, 2004

'by the way, i have a confession to make...i have this letter you wrote me back in high school...it's just a short note...i keep it in my wallet still and read it everytime i need to have some sense back in my life... thanks for that...'

okay, this is creeping me out. why? well, read my October 23 musing on random musings (which for some strange reason, i can't link to).

that's why. because, unfortunately, i've been handed a platter of further evidence that yes, there are things written by people that apparently weave a common thread through others' lives.

and when the person in quote is one of the people i've mentioned here, then it earns a lot more weight to me- because i may have left something with her more meaningful than i ever could have had we ended up the way i once wanted us to.

this is a product of my weekend jaunt. as i threw things out of my drawer that weekend, i found not just notes from relationships long forgotten, but also notes from old friends dear- those who i felt i could still connect to, in a way, despite the change, simply because my relationships with them have seen through other changes in the past. so that's what i decided to do- to try to connect once again with them, in spite (or because) of what has gone by in the time that we've grown apart.

so that's what i get. well, i asked for it.

another friend to whom i sent a 'how ya doin'?' e-mail sent me something just as precious- a beautiful short story, which she said needed some polishing, but had me hooked from the first paragraph until the last sentence. she wrote in the 'full circle' style (for ignorance of the proper term) where you go back to the opening theme at the story's conclusion. but that's not to say it's formulaic; in fact, her main protagonist dies somewhere in the middle, only to be picked up by a person who carries the story to its honor-invoking end.

and she, too, admitted that maybe things weren't the same anymore, but that we still must get together and chat sometime.

i wasn't expecting a revelatory admission and a short story as responses to my messages to them. granted, i was half-hoping for a reply, but i think that was more than i bargained for. but i'm not complaining. as i read their messages, i was happy knowing that having grown apart hasn't dimmed much of the way we see our relationships. i don't really know, but based on their responses, i'm thinking that they made a big thing out of my e-mailing them. and when they responded enthusiastically, it likely didn't occur to them how much their responses would mean to me. (i mean, i've made it such a big deal myself that i'm writing about it in my blog- how about that.)

funny, but it seems to me that this just goes in circles- that we feel whatever we give away is but a small price for the things we get back.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


My Lakbayan grade is B!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.